1. Make real connections with your professors. Get to know them and make sure they know you. Learn ALL you can from them. You’re paying for an education.
2. Learn when to invite friends into your room and when you need to be alone.
3. Be true to yourself. Don’t be a follower. Use your spine.
4. Bring your quilt/blanket and pillow from home. Sleep in your own bed—alone.
5. Get enough sleep. You’ll need it. People become incredibly stupid when they’re sleep deprived.
6. Avoid illegal substances because you also act stupid when you’re under the influence.
7. Keep up your own private, self-selected reading. It’s something you do just for you, even if it’s only ten minutes a day.
8. Buy 30 pairs of underwear because you won’t do laundry for quite a while. Going commando gets tired very fast.
9. Use a calendar, electronic or the old fashioned paper kind. Write down everything that’s due, schedule time to study each subject. Then actually use the calendar.
10. Keep in touch with people who love you.